MEaSUREs: Making Earth System Data Records for Use in Research Environments
NASA, through its Earth Science Data Systems, supports the NASA Earth Science research community in providing Earth science data products and services driven by NASA’s Earth Science goals. NASA’s Earth Science Program is dedicated to advancing Earth remote sensing and pioneering the scientific use of satellite measurements to improve human understanding of our home planet in order to inform economic and policy decisions and improve operational services of benefit to the Nation. Through the MEaSUREs Program, NASA is continuing its commitment to expand understanding the Earth system using consistent records. NASA has begun to deploy new types of sensors to provide three-dimensional profiles of Earth’s atmosphere and surface. Emphasis is placed into linking together multiple satellites into a constellation, developing the means of utilizing a multitude of data sources to form coherent time series, and facilitating the use of extensive data in the development of comprehensive Earth system models.
Under the title program element of the ROSES-2006 announcement, proposals were solicited to focus on the creation of Earth System Data Records (ESDRs), including Climate Data Records. An ESDR is defined as a unified and coherent set of observations of a given parameter of the Earth system, which is optimized to meet specific requirements in addressing science questions. These records are critical to understanding Earth System processes, to assessing variability, long-term trends, and change in the Earth System, and to provide input and validation means to modeling efforts. The solicitation resulted in the selection in October 2007 of 29 projects for funding. The MEaSUREs Program continued with the ROSES-2012 announcement, resulting in selection of 27 projects.
The MEaSUREs projects are focused on product generation, availability, and utility. During the life of MEaSUREs the projects, each of the projects is responsible for making its ESDRs available to the user community. At the end of the MEaSUREs projects, the generated ESDRs will be archived and distributed by the EOSDIS data centers.
Awarded projects provide Earth science data products and services driven by NASA’s Earth science goals and contributing to advancing NASA Earth system “missions to measurements” concept.
To view individual abstracts, select from the titles below or navigate by Principal Investigator name on the left. ESDRs are archived and distributed by EOSDIS DAACs indicated in brackets following the title; click it to visit the site.
Carbon Cycle and Ecosystems
Climate Variability and Change
- Climate Data Record of Altimetric Sea Level Change and Its Mass and Steric Components [PO.DAAC] (2012)
- Continuity and Enhancement of the Global ESDR for Landscape Freeze/Thaw State Dynamics [NSIDC] (2012)
- Cross-Calibrated Multi-Platform Ocean Surface Wind Velocity Data Set for Meteorological and Oceanographic Applications [PO.DAAC] (2006)
- Data Record of the Cloudy Boundary Layer [GES DISC] (2012)
- Development of Consistent Global Long-Term Records of Atmospheric Evaporative Demand [GES DISC] (2012)
- Development of Northern Hemisphere Snow and Ice Climate Data Records [NSIDC] (2006)
- Distributed Information Services: Climate/Ocean Products and Visualizations for Earth Research (DISCOVER) Continuation of Project [GHRC] (2006)
- Earth Surface and Atmospheric Reflectivity Since 1979 from Multiple Satellites (TOMS, SBUV, SBUV-2, OMI, SeaWiFS, NPP, and NPOESS) [GES DISC] (2006)
- ESDR of Small-Scale Kinematics of Arctic Ocean Sea Ice [ASF] (2006) (2012)
- GAC and HRPT AVHRR Reprocessing to GHRSST [PO.DAAC] (2006)
- Global Cloud Process Studies in the Context of Decadal Climate Variability: Enhancement and Continuation of Data Analysis for the International Satellite Cloud Climatalogy Project (ISCCP) [LaRC ASDC DAAC] (2006)
- Globally Merged, Reconciled and Gridded Observations of Near-Surface Atmospheric and Land Surface Properties... [GES DISC] (2012)
- Greenland Ice Mapping Project: Measuring Rapid Changes in Ice Flow [NSIDC] (2006) (2012)
- Ice Velocity Mapping of the Great Ice Sheets: Antarctica [NSIDC] (2006) (2012)
- Improved, Enhanced-Resolution, Gridded Passive Microwave ESDR for Monitoring Cryospheric and Hydrologic Time Series [NSIDC] (2012)
- Improvement of the NVAP Global Water Vapor Data Set for Climate, Hydrological, and Weather Studies [LaRC ASDC DAAC] (2006)
- Integrated Multi-Mission Ocean Altimeter Data for Climate Research [PO.DAAC] (2006)
- Long-Term TOA and Constrained Surface Radiation Budget Dataset... [ASDC] (2012)
- Multi-Satellite Ultraviolet Solar Spectral Irradiance Composite (MUSSIC) [GES DISC] (2012)
- Multi-Sensor Ultra-high Resolution (MUR) SST Field [PO.DAAC] (2006)
- Multi-Sensor Water Vapor Climate Data Record Using Cloud Classification [GES DISC] (2006) (2012)
- Next-Generation Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP) Data Products [GES DISC] (2012)
Earth Surface and Interior
Water and Energy Cycle