ESDIS Mission Statement
NASA's Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) Project is responsible for providing scientific and other users access to data from NASA's Earth science missions:
- ESDIS provides access to data through the development and operation of the science systems of NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS).
- Data products from EOS and other NASA Earth science missions are stored at several discipline-specific Distributed Active Archive Centers (DAACs) to support interactive and interoperable retrieval and distribution of data products.
- For the design, development, integration, testing, and operation of the science systems, ESDIS provides:
- Project management
- Systems engineering
- Technical direction
- To evolve the capabilities of EOSDIS to support changing user requirements, ESDIS coordinates development of scientific, discipline-unique functions at the DAACs.
- ESDIS is part of NASA's Earth Science Projects Division, the designated Earth science program management office for flight, ground, and science performed at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center.
- ESDIS supports the Earth Science Division at NASA Headquarters in representing NASA in interagency and international working groups:
- To develop standards for science information exchange
- To develop interoperability functions with other data centers
Last Updated: Jun 5, 2019 at 9:26 AM EDT