Socioeconomic Data and Applications Data Center (SEDAC)
Socioeconomic Data and Applications Data Center
SEDAC is operated by the Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), a unit of the Earth Institute at Columbia University based at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in Palisades, New York.
SEDAC’s missions are to synthesize Earth science and socioeconomic data and information in ways useful to a wide range of decision makers and other applied users, and to provide an “Information Gateway” between the socioeconomic and Earth science data and information domains.
SEDAC datasets can be accessed via the data set section of the SEDAC web site.
Dr. Robert Chen, CIESIN Director, DAAC Manager
Dr. Alex de Sherbinin, Deputy DAAC Manager
Marc Levy, Lead Project Scientist
Joe Schumacher, User Services Manager
CIESIN, Columbia University
PO Box 1000
61 Route 9W
Palisades, NY 10964
The data center has extensive holdings related to population, sustainability, and geospatial data, and provides access to a large number of multilateral environmental agreements. SEDAC efforts include:
- Human population distribution on a latitude-longitude grid (U.S. and global)
- Human settlements and infrastructure, including roads, reservoirs, and dams
- Ecosystem, agriculture, and wetlands data
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) socioeconomic scenarios
- Environmental treaty status and texts
- Environmental sustainability indicators
- Global data on natural hazards, poverty, and air and water pollution
- Map gallery and online mapping and query tools for key datasets
Last Updated: Sep 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM EDT