Science Computing Facilities (SCFs)
Science Computing Facilities (SCFs)
Other Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) standard products are produced at Science Computing Facilities (SCFs). In general, SCFs are used by Earth Observing System (EOS) investigators (Facility Instrument Team Leaders and Team Members, Instrument Principal Investigators, and Interdisciplinary Investigators) to develop algorithms and models for the generation of standard and special products. SCFs also access services in EOSDIS, conduct scientific research and perform scientific quality control of the data products. In some cases, the SCFs perform routine processing of standard products, such as for the Active Cavity Radiometer Irradiance Monitor (ACRIM), Land Information System (LIS), Strategic Aerosol and Gas Experiment III (SAGE III) and Solar Radiation and Climate Experiment (SORCE) instruments. Products produced at the SCFs using investigator-provided systems and software are sent to the appropriate Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) for archival and distribution. Level 0 Data Products and Ancillary Data that begin the processing sequence are stored at the DAACs and retrieved by the SCFs.
- The ACRIM Satellite (ACRIMSAT) SCF, operated by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Coronado, CA, processes data from the ACRIM III instrument on the ACRIMSAT mission. This SCF produces solar irradiance products. Level-0 data, ancillary data, and Level 2 products are provided to NASA's Atmospheric Science Data Center (ASDC) for archiving and distribution. The ACRIM III instrument was turned off in November 2013.
- Lightning Imaging Sensor (LIS), located at NASA's Global Hydrology Research Center (GHRC) DAAC in Huntsville, Alabama,
- The SAGE III SCF, located at NASA's Langley Research Center, reprocesses data from the SAGE III instrument on the Meteor-3M mission, terminated on March 6, 2006. The SAGE III data products include measurements of aerosol extinction, ozone (O3), water vapor, nitrogen dioxide (NO2), nitrogen trioxide (N2O3), chlorine dioxide (ClO2), clouds, temperature and pressure in the mesosphere, stratosphere, and upper troposphere. SAGE III data and data products are provided to ASDC for archiving and distribution.
DAAC-based Product Generation
Standard products for selected instruments are produced at EOSDIS DAACs. These standard products are derived from the ASTER instrument on NASA's Terra satellite (processed at NASA's Land Processes DAAC [LP DAAC]), MISR on Terra (produced at ASDC) and AIRS/AMSU/HSB on NASA's Aqua satellite, processed at NASA's Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC). These DAACs also archive and distribute the standard products as well as other data holdings.
- The Atmospheric Infrared Sounders (AIRS), located at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland,
- The Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER), collocated with LP DAAC, processes data from the ASTER instrument on Terra. The ASTER data products include detailed maps of land surface temperature, reflectance, and elevation. ASTER data and data products are archived and distributed from LP DAAC.
- The Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System (CERES) is collocated with ASDC, and processes data from the CERES instrument on NASA's TRMM, Terra and Aqua satellites. The CERES data products include solar-reflected and Earth-emitted radiation from the top of the atmosphere to the Earth’s surface, and cloud properties using simultaneous measurements from other EOS instruments. CERES data and data products are archived and distributed at ASDC.
- The Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer (MISR) is collocated with ASDC, and processes data from the MISR instrument on Terra. The MISR products include global georectified radiance, land surface, aerosol, albedo, and cloud products, cloud fraction by altitude (CFbA), cloud motion vector (CMV), regional radiance, land, and aerosol products, and joint aerosol products. MISR data and data products are archived and distributed at ASDC.
Last Updated: Jan 27, 2020 at 1:04 PM EST