Ozone Mapping and Profiler Suite (OMPS)
- Register for an Earthdata Login to download
- Use the hyperlinks below or download directly via HTTPS: https://omisips1.omisips.eosdis.nasa.gov/outgoing/OMPS/LANCE/
- The directory path is /<data type>/, where <data type> is the specific data type, e.g. NMTO3-L2-NRT, NMSO2-PCA-L2-NRT. (We recommend you copy and paste the https link in to your browser as some users experienced issues not being able to download data if they click on the link.)
- Detailed instructions on automating scripts can be found below.
- OMPS Science Investigator-led Processing System (SIPS) near real-time mailing list
- Data outages and known issues
- NRT versus Standard Products
- News article: New OMPS Product Provides a Better View of High Aerosol Events (Oct 2018)
- Data provider: OMPS SIPS
Instructions for downloading data via https protocol can be found below.
OMPS / Suomi NPP
(HTTPS download link)
(Common Metadata Repository (CMR) description link)
||OMPS-NPP L2 NM Ozone (O3) Total Column swath orbital NRT||0.129||Worldview Browse|
||OMPS-NPP L2 NP Ozone (O3) Vertical Profile swath orbital NRT||0.007||N/A|
||OMPS/NPP PCA SO2 Total Column 1-Orbit L2 Swath 50x50km NRT||0.016||Worldview Browse|
|NMMIEAI-L2-NRT||OMPS/NPP Nadir Mapper Near UV Aerosol Index Product 1-Orbit L2 Swath 50x50km NRT||0.25||Worldview Browse|
OMI and OMPS downloads are being switched from ftp to https. NASA's Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS), our parent organization, requires that we track who downloads files and we do this via Earthdata Login and/or appkeys.
Earthdata Login is appropriate when using a browser as the redirection for http will work correctly. However when using the command line tools this becomes complex. To simplify this we have implemented App Keys; you generate a key and pass it to your script in a header.
Requesting an App Key
App keys are string tokens that identify who you are. App keys get passed in the authorization header of each http GET request, and they last at least 3 months; which means they can be used in scripts. Any user that does not already have an app key for OMI/OMPS SIPS can get one by performing the following steps:
- Go to the LAADS DAAC URL: https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/tools-and-services/
- Login by going to Profile -> Earthdata Login
- Note the first time you login via Earthdata Login, it will prompt you to accept authorization of Sentinel3 and MERIS, you must accept to continue.
- Select Profile / App Keys from the top menu
- Create your new AppKey by entering a description and clicking the "Create New App Key" button
- Highlight and copy the app key from the list and save in a file for use later.
Retrieving an App Key
Any forgotten or lost App Keys can be retrieved using the following steps:
- Login to the LAADS DAAC web site using the Profile -> Earthdata Login menu
- Select Profile / App Keys from the top menu
- Highlight and copy any existing App Keys from the list
Users are permitted to have more than one App Key at a time.
To use the App Key with wget (replace MY_APP_KEY with key copied from website):
wget -nd -r --header='Authorization: Bearer MY_APP_KEY' https://omisips1.omisips.eosdis.nasa.gov/outgoing/PATH_TO_MY_FILE
Same example with curl:
curl -H 'Authorization: Bearer MY_APP_KEY' https://omisips1.omisips.eosdis.nasa.gov/outgoing/PATH_TO_MY_FILE" > result
The example above passes your app key via the Authorization HTTP header while utilizing the Bearer schema. When finished, the resulting download will be written to a file called “result“ in whatever directory (folder) you run the command from.
The app key located in the header is how the SIPS identifies users. If the app key is invalid, or missing the command will not work.
To get a listing (to standard out) of the OMTO3 directory via wget use:
wget -nd --header='Authorization: Bearer MY_APP_KEY' https://omisips1.omisips.eosdis.nasa.gov/outgoing/OMTO3 -O -
To download a single file:
For example OMI-Aura_L2-OMTO3_2018m0529t0918-o73776_v883-2018m0529t120750.he5 go to the current directory:
wget -nd --header='Authorization: Bearer MY_APP_KEY' https://omisips1.omisips.eosdis.nasa.gov/outgoing/OMTO3/OMI-Aura_L2-OMTO3_2018m0529t0918-o73776_v883-2018m0529t120750.he5
To download all files in the OMTO3 directory to a given directory
FOO in this case and filters out any file ending in '.html' :
wget -r -nd --header='Authorization: Bearer MY_APP_KEY' -R ".html" https://omisips1.omisips.eosdis.nasa.gov/outgoing/OMTO3 -P FOO
Example scripts and more information can be found at: https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/tools-and-services/data-download-scripts/
If using the the example scripts found on ladsweb, the URL must be changed to the omisips URL: https://omisips1.omisips.eosdis.nasa.gov/outgoing/
Page Last Updated: Jun 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM EDT