Data Citations and Acknowledgements
NASA promotes the full and open sharing of all data with the research and applications communities, private industry, academia, and the general public. Read the NASA Data and Information Policy and Open Data and the Importance of Data Citations: The EOSDIS Perspective.
Datasets and related data products and services are provided by NASA's Distributed Active Archive Centers (DAACs), which are parts of the Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) managed by the NASA Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) project. NASA data are freely accessible; however, when you publish these data or works based on the data, we request that you cite the datasets within the text of the publication and include a reference to them in your reference list. References to datasets should have enough detail to provide readers of your publication with the ability to obtain the datasets and conduct their own studies based on your work. (For complete provenance and understanding of specifically which parts of data were used and how, it also may be necessary to describe in detail, within the body of the publication, exactly how the data were used.)
Because each discipline within Earth science has its own unique approach to data, each of the DAACs provides details with examples on how to cite and reference its discipline-specific data and services. The links to this information are given below:
- ASDC - https://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/citing-asdc-data
- ASF DAAC - https://www.asf.alaska.edu/about/how-to-cite-data/
- CDDIS - http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov/About/Citing_our_data.html
- GES DAAC - http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/additional/citing-our-data/data_citation.shtml
- GHRC DAAC - https://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/home/about-ghrc/citing-ghrc-daac-data
- LAADS DAAC - http://modaps.nascom.nasa.gov/services/faq/LAADS_Data-Use_Citation_Policies.pdf
- LP DAAC - https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/citing_our_data
- NSIDC DAAC - http://nsidc.org/data/citations.html
- OB.DAAC - https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/citations/
- ORNL DAAC - http://daac.ornl.gov/citation_policy.html
- PO.DAAC - http://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/CitingPODAAC
- SEDAC - http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/citations
In addition, the following cross-DAAC services provided by the ESDIS Project may be cited as shown below:
Global Change Master Directory (GCMD)
Please refer to How to cite the Global Master Change Directory for more information.
Land, Atmosphere Near real-time Capability for EOS (LANCE)
Please refer to LANCE Citation, Acknowledgements and Disclaimer for more information.
Global Imagery Browse Services (GIBS)
Please refer to the GIBS Data Use Policy and Acknowledgements for more information.
ESIP Guidelines for Referencing Data
The Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) provide a clear, concise guidelines document that may also help you in determining the format of the data set reference.
Last Updated: Jun 1, 2017 at 4:53 PM EDT