Table of Contents
- What Kind of Earth Observation Data does NASA provide?
- Familiarize Yourself with NASA Data Holdings - Search by Discipline
- See What NASA Data Look like with NASA Worldview
- Search for and Access NASA Data
- Learn How to Search, Access, and Visualize the Data with Our Tutorials
What Kind of Earth Observation Data does NASA provide?
NASA provides data from a variety of sources including satellites, airborne campaigns, field campaigns, in situ instruments and model outputs. There are data that span the Earth science disciplines, providing measurements for Earth’s Atmosphere, Ocean, Land, Cryosphere, and Human Interactions with the Environment. In addition, calibrated sensor data are available.
Familiarize Yourself with NASA Data Holdings- Search by Science Discipline
First go to https://earthdata.nasa.gov and click on any of the science discipline icons.
Here you can
review the list of available measurements within that science discipline.
If you select a measurement, you will be directed to NASA Earthdata Search. Here you can view the available data sets for that measurement.
See What NASA Data Look like with NASA Worldview
The Worldview tool from NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) provides the capability to interactively browse global, full-resolution satellite imagery and then download the underlying data. Most of the 400+ available products are updated within three hours of observation, essentially showing the entire Earth as it looks "right now".
Go to https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov, select your region of interest, select the time frame and then filter/add layers by science discipline, natural hazard, or specific event.
Need help? A Worldview “Tour” is available on the home page by clicking on the information icon in the top right corner.
Search for and Access NASA Data
- key word (i.e., free text);
- platform (e.g., satellite name or aircraft type);
- organization (Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) or data processing organization); or
- processing level (click for an explanation of data processing levels)
Need help? A tour is available on the NASA Earthdata Search home page to help guide you through a key word search and the various filtering capabilities. Click on the "Take a Tour" link on the home page.
Learn How to Search, Access, and Visualize the Data with Our Tutorials
Access tutorials on our NASA Earthdata YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/c/NASAEarthdata
Last Updated: Oct 3, 2017 at 3:29 PM EDT