What's New in Collection 6 MODIS Active Fire / Hotspot Data?
Collection 6 represents the best available MODIS active fire / thermal anomalies product. Key changes, as they relate to the active fire / hotspots distributed by FIRMS are listed below. For the most up to date information, please refer to the MODIS Collection 6 Active Fire Product User's Guide Revision B.
- Processing has been extended to oceans and other large water bodies to detect offshore gas flaring.
- Reduced incidence of false alarms caused by small forest clearings.
- Improved detection of small fires.
- Expanded sun-glint rejection.
- Slightly improved cloud masking.
- Slight adjustment of detection confidence calculation.
- FRP retrieval now performed using Wooster et al. (2003) approach.
- DayNight field added to the attribute table
- Version field updated to a string field in the attribute table
- The FIRMS Fire Email Alerts will be updated to distribute Collection 6 and VIIRS 375 m data.
- For data older than the last 7 days, please use the Archive Download Tool.
Attribute fields for NRT MODIS C6 fire data distributed by FIRMS
|Attribute||Short Description||Long Description|
|Latitude||Latitude||Center of 1km fire pixel but not necessarily the actual location of the fire as one or more fires can be detected within the 1km pixel.|
|Longitude||Longitude||Center of 1km fire pixel but not necessarily the actual location of the fire as one or more fires can be detected within the 1km pixel.|
|Brightness||Brightness temperature 21 (Kelvin)||Channel 21/22 brightness temperature of the fire pixel measured in Kelvin.|
|Scan||Along Scan pixel size||The algorithm produces 1km fire pixels but MODIS pixels get bigger toward the edge of scan. Scan and track reflect actual pixel size.|
|Track||Along Track pixel size||The algorithm produces 1km fire pixels but MODIS pixels get bigger toward the edge of scan. Scan and track reflect actual pixel size.|
|Acq_Date||Acquisition Date||Date of MODIS acquisition.|
|Acq_Time||Acquisition Time||Time of acquisition/overpass of the satellite (in UTC).|
|Satellite||Satellite||A = Aqua and T = Terra.|
|Confidence||Confidence (0-100%)||This value is based on a collection of intermediate algorithm quantities used in the detection process. It is intended to help users gauge the quality of individual hotspot/fire pixels. Confidence estimates range between 0 and 100% and are assigned one of the three fire classes (low-confidence fire, nominal-confidence fire, or high-confidence fire).|
|Version||Version (Collection and source)||Version identifies the collection (e.g. MODIS Collection 6) and source of data processing: Near Real-Time (NRT suffix added to collection) or Standard Processing (collection only).
"6.0NRT" - Collection 6 NRT processing.
"6.0" - Collection 6 Standard processing. Find out more on collections and on the differences between FIRMS data sourced from LANCE FIRMS and University of Maryland.
|Bright_T31||Brightness temperature 31 (Kelvin)||Channel 31 brightness temperature of the fire pixel measured in Kelvin.|
|FRP||Fire Radiative Power||Depicts the pixel-integrated fire radiative power in MW (megawatts).
|DayNight||Day / Night||D = Daytime, N = Nighttime|
Last Updated: Jan 7, 2019 at 9:32 AM EST