You are here
ESDIS Standards, Conventions, Practices and Technical Notes
The following table lists all standards track or technical note documents that have been submitted for review by the NASA Earth Science standards process. Those with a status of "Final" are approved for use and officially endorsed by the NASA Earth Science Division (ESD) for use in Earth science data systems. The document number remains constant throughout the process and thus serves as a convenient shorthand for the document.
- Each submitted document receives a number. Once approved as "Final", the document text is never changed in a substantive way. Editorial changes are collected in an errata document until the Editor and the Standards Process Group decide to update the document. Substantive technical changes would require that a new document be submitted and a new document number be issued.
- Clicking on the title will lead you directly to the document or to a folder containing the document.
- Revision numbers beginning with "0." are for documents in review. Revision 1 is for final documents. Other revision numbers will be assigned if the document is changed.
- Technical Notes are informational notes. Standards Track documents are in-process to become standards. Standards are final standards.
- Draft means the document is being reviewed. Pending means the document is awaiting final approval. Final means the document has passed through the entire process successfully.
- Category indicates the general technical area covered by the document.
These interfaces and data formats were in use by NASA Earth Science Data Systems prior to the start of the ES Data Systems SPG.
- GCMD DIF - Global Change Master Directory, Directory Interchange Format for Datasets (GCMD DIF) * (for all NASA ESE products) - ENDORSED
- EOSDIS Core System Data Model - EOSDIS Core System - Science Metadata Model for Earth Science Data Types (ECS ESDT Data Model) * (for EOS standard products)
- FGDC CSDGM - Federal Geographic Data Committee - Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (FGDC Content Standard) * (via ECS, ECHO, or GCMD+)
- EOS Clearinghouse - EOS Clearinghouse Data Provider Science Data Model (ECHO Ingest Data Model ) - ENDORSED
Data Format Standards
- HDF and HDF-EOS Profile - Hierarchical Data Format (HDF) (including the HDF-EOS profile of HDF) * (for Earth Observing System standard products) - ENDORSED
- netCDF - Network Common Data Format (netCDF) (for Topex/Poseidon data products and others) - ENDORSED
- GeoTIFF - Geographic Tagged Image File Format (GeoTIFF) (for distributing Landsat-7 data products and other land raster imagery)
- Landsat 7 Fast Format - Fast Format (for distributing Landsat-7 data products)
- WMO BUFR - World Meteorological Organization Binary Universal Format for Representation (BUFR) (for distributing SeaWinds data products)
Discovery and Access Protocols
- OPeNDAP - OPen-source Project for a Network Data Access Protocol (OPeNDAP) - ENDORSED
- EOS Clearinghouse Protocol (ECHO protocol) - DEPRECATED
- EOSDIS V0 - EOSDIS Version 0 Information Management System Protocol - DEPRECATED
- ANSI Z39.50 - American National Standards Institute (ANSI/ISO Z39.50) and its profiles (including GILS, GEO and CIP profiles) - DEPRECATED
- EOSDIS Guide - EOSDIS Guide document standard for product collecitons in EOSDIS Version 0 and the EOSDIS Core System.
Example standards which may potentially be used in ESE data systems
- Science Content Standards
- FGDC NVCI - National Vegetation Classification and Information Standards approved by the Federal Geographic Data Committee (NVCI/FGDC)