More MODIS: MODIS Collection 6 Near Real-Time Products Now Available
Near real-time (NRT) products from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Collection 6 are now available through NASA LANCE.
News date: 09/17/2015
Josh Blumenfeld, EOSDIS Science Writer
Near real-time (NRT) products from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Collection 6 are now available through NASA’s Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) Land, Atmosphere Near real-time Capability for EOS (LANCE). MODIS NRT Collection 5 and Collection 6 data will both be available until Collection 5 NRT products are retired later in 2016.
The release of MODIS Collection 6 data products is part of a major reprocessing of the entire MODIS data archive to generate standard data products with calibration enhancements, algorithm refinements, and upstream product improvements. MODIS Collection 6 will fully replace the current Collection 5 over the next year.
The MODIS standard data products that are being reprocessed are created using the best available ancillary, calibration, and ephemeris information, and are designed for scientific research. MODIS NRT products, on the other hand, are not reprocessed, but are generated using Collection 6 algorithms after Collection 6 standard products are produced.MODIS is a key instrument aboard NASA’s Terra (1999 launch) and Aqua (2002 launch) Earth observing satellites. LANCE MODIS NRT data are generally available within three hours of an observation, and are an important tool for analyzing, managing, and tracking on-going and rapidly-changing events such as wildfires, dust storms, and hurricanes.
Along with their availability through LANCE, MODIS Collection 6 NRT imagery also are available through the EOSDIS Rapid Response Near Real Time (Orbit Swath) Images. Rapid Response is the precursor to the EOSDIS Worldview data analysis and visualization client, and has provided MODIS global swath imagery since 2001. MODIS Collection 6 NRT data products and imagery will be available through the Global Imagery Browse Services (GIBS) for viewing in Worldview and other clients in the future.
MODIS standard atmospheric, land, and ocean data products are processed, archived, and distributed by several Distributed Active Archive Centers (DAACs). EOSDIS is a key core capability in the Earth Science Data Systems (ESDS) Program, and provides end-to-end management of NASA’s Earth science data from satellites, aircraft, field measurements, and other sources.
MODIS ocean products are available through the Ocean Biology DAAC (OB.DAAC) and Physical Oceanography DAAC (PO.DAAC). Atmosphere products are available through the Level 1 and Atmosphere Archive and Distribution System DAAC (LAADS DAAC). Land products are available through the Land Processes DAAC (LP DAAC). Snow and ice products are available through the National Snow and Ice Data Center DAAC (NSIDC DAAC).
Reprocessing of MODIS data products from Collection 5 to Collection 6 is ongoing, and Collection 6 products will be released as they become available. Reprocessing of the remaining Collection 6 data products is expected to be completed by mid to late 2016.
New features in MODIS Collection 6 include:
- Improved land products, including improved calibration, cloud mask, geolocation, and land water mask;
- Replacement of the 8-day rolling Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function (BRDF)/Albedo parameter product with a new daily rolling BRDF/Albedo product;
- Product-specific algorithm changes to improve land surface reflectance (LSR), land surface temperature (LST), active fire (AF), snow, and BRDF/Albedo products;
- 500 m resolution products for leaf area index/fraction of absorbed photosynthetically active radiation (LAI/Fpar) and gross primary production/MODIS photosynthesis product (GPP/PSNnet); and
- Extended processing to oceans and other large bodies for the fire mapping product, including the detection of off-shore gas flaring; Collection 6 also will include a reduction in false alarms in the Amazon caused by small forest clearings as well as an improved cloud mask.
For additional information about MODIS and MODIS data products, please visit the following websites:
Atmosphere Products: http://modis-atmos.gsfc.nasa.gov/index.html
Land Products: http://modis-land.gsfc.nasa.gov/
Ocean Products: http://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov
Page Last Updated: Mar 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM EST