EOSDIS Data News: January 2017
NASA GIBS completed final reprocessing of MODIS C6 Atmosphere imagery products, now available in GIBS production.
As the result of a collaboration between NASA's Land Processes Distributed Active Archive Center (LP DAAC) and National Snow and Ice Data Center DAAC (NSIDC DAAC), eight Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) snow cover products are now available in the Application for Extracting and Exploring Analysis Ready Samples (AppEEARS). Version 1.7 of AppEEARS was released on January 19, the first release with data that are distributed by another DAAC. Collaborations are also underway to include data from NASA's Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC) and Oak Ridge National Laboratory DAAC (ORNL DAAC).
NASA's Measurements Of Pollution In The Troposphere Science Investigator-led Processing System (MOPITT SIPS) announced that processing and deliveries of MOPITT Version 5 (V5) products ended on December 31, 2016 (see https://www2.acom.ucar.edu/mopitt/news). The team encouraged users to use either the V6 or the V7 products (see announcement if there is a special need for V5 products). For information about the MOPITT data availability, user documentation and quality statements, relevant links, sample read software, and tools for working with the data, refer to https://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/project/mopitt/mopitt_table.
NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center Distributed Active Archive Center (NSIDC DAAC) released the following:
- IceBridge Digital Mapping System (DMS) L1B Geolocated and Orthorectified Images for the Summer 2016 campaign, now available at NSIDC DAAC: This dataset contains Level-1B imagery taken from the DMS) over Greenland and Antarctica
- The Near Real-Time Special Sensor Microwave/Imager (SSM/I)-Special Sensor Microwave Imager/Sounder (SSMIS) Equal-Area Scalable Earth Grid (EASE-Grid) Daily Global Ice Concentration and Snow Extent (NISE) dataset, Version 5 (see announcement at https://nsidc.org/data/nise). The data record began on December 1, 2016. The new version includes the following improvements:
- The NISE snow and sea ice algorithm both use near real-time brightness temperature observations from the SSMIS instrument on the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program-F18 (DMSP-F18).
- The coefficients for the NISE snow algorithm were updated to better match results from DMSP-F13, necessitated by an inter-calibration between F13 and F17 during an overlap period and between F17 and F18 during a different overlap period.
- The Earth System Data Type metadata was updated to reflect the change in dataset version number
- NASA IceBridge DMS L0 Raw ImageryDMS L0 Raw Imagery for the 2016 Antarctica campaign. This dataset contains level zero imagery taken from the Digital Mapping System (DMS) over Antarctica and Greenland
- The MEaSUREs Calibrated Enhanced-Resolution Passive Microwave Daily EASE-Grid 2.0 Brightness Temperature ESDR dataset is part of the MEaSUREs program. It consists of an improved, enhanced-resolution, gridded passive microwave Earth System Data Record for monitoring cryospheric and hydrologic time series from the Scanning Multichannel Microwave Radiometer (SMMR), Special Sensor Microwave/Imager-Special Sensor Microwave Imager/Sounder (SSM/I-SSMIS), and Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer - EOS (AMSR-E)
- The Version 2 Sea Ice Trends and Climatologies from SMMR and SSM/I-SSMIS dataset, includes the following changes:
- Extended the temporal coverage of the data to December 2015.
- Updated the dataset with input data from the Sea Ice Concentrations from Nimbus-7 SMMR and DMSP SSM/I-SSMIS Passive Microwave Data dataset.
- Updated the dataset with input data from the Polar Stereographic Valid Ice Masks Derived from National Ice Center Monthly Sea Ice Climatologies dataset.
- There were also sundry improvements to the browse images.
NASA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory Distributed Active Archive Center (ORNL DAAC) published the following datasets:
- BOREAS AES Canadian Hourly and Daily Surface Meteorological Data, R1
- Pre-Arctic-Boreal Vulnerability Experiment (Pre-ABoVE): Study Domain and Standard Reference Grids
- Soil Moisture Visualizer
ORNL DAAC released the Carbon in Arctic Reservoirs Vulnerability Experiment (CARVE) Level 2 (L2) Atmospheric CO2, CO, and CH4 Concentrations, CARVE Tower, Alaska, 2011-2015 in support of the Earth Venture Suborbital-1 mission. ORNL DAAC also completed the metadata for the Carbon in Arctic Reservoirs Vulnerability Experiment (CARVE) Level 1 and Level 2 Fourier transform spectrometer datasets.
ORNL DAAC published the Pre-ABoVE: Land Cover and Vegetation Map Collection for Seward Peninsula, Alaska dataset to the ORNL DAAC archive.
NASA's Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center (PO.DAAC) announced the addition of two months of the data of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) Mascon Ocean, Ice and Hydrology Equivalent Water Height Version 2 datasets. This brings the time series up through August 2016 (see: http://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/announcements/2017-01-09_July_and_August_data_JPL_GRACE_Mascon_V2_Datasets).
PO.DAAC completed ingest for the new JPL MEaSUREs Gridded Sea Surface Height Anomalies Version 1609 dataset, as well as the Interim Version 1609 dataset, both of which will be made available on the PO.DAAC public file transfer protocol (ftp) site.
The Day/Night Band (DNB) imagery from the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite’s (VIIRS) nighttime sensor is now available within three hours of an overflight of the joint NASA/NOAA Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (Suomi NPP) satellite in near-real time. The VIIRS DNB layer is created using a sensing technique designed to capture low-light emissions under varying illumination conditions, and is displayed as a gray-scale image. DNB imagery products in GIBS are available from December 3, 2016, to the present and can be viewed using NASA’s Worldview or similar GIBS clients (see layer in Worldview at http://go.nasa.gov/2iFEzX8). The DNB imagery products are produced by NASA’s Direct Readout Laboratory (DRL). For additional information, read the article at https://earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/articles/viirs-dnb.
Page Last Updated: Feb 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM EST