EOSDIS Data News - 05/19/2017
NASA's Global Hydrology Resource Center (GHRC) Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) has published an update to the LIS/OTD Gridded Lightning Climatology Data Collection to incorporate Lightning Imaging Sensor (LIS) data from the last year of data from Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM). This collection comprises the ten LIS/OTD Gridded Lightning Climatology Datasets listed below. These ten data sets offer full, annual, monthly and diurnal climatologies of lightning observed from space from May 1995 through December 2014, including both Optical Transient Detector and TRMM Lightning Imaging Sensor, at 0.5 and 2.5 degree resolutions. The three time series datasets also include data for January through April 2015. All data are available in both netCDF and HDF formats.
- Collection DOI: http:/dx.doi.org/10.5067/LIS/LIS-OTD/DATA311
Dual-frequency Dual-polarized Doppler Radar (D3R) Olympic Mountain Experiment (OLYMPEX)
- Data set DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/GPMGV/OLYMPEX/D3R/DATA101
- The OLYMPEX D3R dataset contains radar reflectivity and doppler velocity measurements. The D3R was developed by a government-industry-academic consortium with funding from NASA’s Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Project and was used in several ground validation projects. D3R operates at the Ku band (13.91 GHz ± 25 MHz) and Ka band (35.56 GHz ± 25 MHz) frequencies, like those on GPM satellite instruments, covering a fixed range from 450 m to 40 km. For OLYMPEX, the D3R was collocated with the NASA S-Band Dual-Polarimetric Radar (NPOL) radar at a coastal Washington state location on the Olympic Peninsula. Due to blockage caused by NPOL, the measurement sector is limited to a 220 deg to 120 deg sector. The data is available in netCDF format.
- TRMM Multi-satellite Precipitation Analysis (TMPA) IPHEx
- Data set DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/GPMGV/IPHEX/MULTIPLE/DATA301
- The IPHEx TRMM Multi-satellite Precipitation Analysis (TMPA) a subset of the TMPA 3B42RT gridded precipitation product selected for the time period of the GPM Ground Validation Integrated Precipitation and Hydrology Experiment (IPHEx) held in North Carolina during May 1, 2014 to June 15, 2014. The goal of IPHEx was to characterize warm season orographic precipitation regimes and the relationship between precipitation regimes and hydrologic processes in regions of complex terrain. This dataset contains 3-hourly, 0.25 degree maps of precipitation derived using microwave (MW), infra-red (IR), surface precipitation gauge measurements, and other rain products that include the TRMM Precipitation Radar (PR) data. The IPHEx TMPA product is available in netCDF-4 and binary formats.
The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) collection 6 Albedo products have been added to NASA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) DAAC MODIS Global subsets and visualization tool. The albedo products utilize
- LP DAAC backend for subsetting
- Expands the backend of the global tool to provide daily products
- Expands the ORNL DAAC MODIS subsetting capability for post-processing utilizing LP DAAC subsets.
Last Updated: Jul 24, 2018 at 2:46 PM EDT