EOSDIS Data News: February 3, 2017
- NASA GIBS announced the availability of 80+ new layers in GIBS. This includes Advanced Microwave Sounding Radiometer-2 (AMSR2) sea ice products, an initial batch of Web Enabled Landsat Data (WELD) products, and a complete archive of Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) atmospheric products from the start of the Terra (2000) and Aqua (2002) missions through the present. The team members added 20+ of the layers mentioned above in Worldview and are in the process of adding the rest. The team also added several new features including the ability to view natural events, animate imagery over time, and rotate polar views. Read more in the GIBS blog.
- GIBS also released daily nighttime imagery via the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) Day/Night Band layer. This layer shows patterns of human activity and energy behaviors such as cities and highways, the holiday periods, the tracking of shipping and fishing fleets at night, and the burning of waste natural gas (gas flares) from on and off shore oil/gas production sites. Read more in the GIBS blog.
- NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center Distributed Active Archive Center (NSIDC DAAC) released the following:
- The CanSISE Observation-Based Ensemble of Northern Hemisphere Terrestrial Snow Water Equivalent (updated to Version 2)
- The MEaSUREs Greenland Ice Sheet Velocity Map from InSAR Data, Version 2 (updated to include 2012-2013 data)
- The DMSP SSM/I-SSMIS Daily Polar Gridded Brightness Temperatures (updated through October 31, 2016)
- The DMSP SSM/I-SSMIS Pathfinder Daily EASE-Grid Brightness Temperatures, (updated through October 31, 2016)
- NASA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory DAAC (ORNL DAAC) released the Pre-Arctic-Boreal Vulnerability Experiment (Pre-ABoVE): Land Cover and Vegetation Map Collection for Seward Peninsula, Alaska dataset (see https://webmap.ornl.gov/sdat/kmz/ornldaac_ds1363.kmz).
Page Last Updated: Dec 22, 2020 at 3:49 PM EST