NASA's Global Hydrology Resource Center (GHRC) Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) published two datasets providing aircraft navigation data for flights that occurred during November 5, 2015 through December 19, 2015 for the Olympic Mountains Experiment (OLYMPEX) GPM Ground Validation field campaign. Each consists of multiple altitude, pressure, temperature, airspeed, and ground speed measurements.
- GPM Ground Validation UND Citation Navigation Data OLYMPEX dataset supplies navigation data collected by the Cessna Citation II aircraft.
- GPM Ground Validation NASA DC-8 Navigation Data OLYMPEX dataset supplies navigation data collected by the NASA DC-8 aircraft.
NASA's Land Processes DAAC (LP DAAC) released the Making Earth System Data Records for Use in Research Environments (MEaSUREs)
Global Food Security-support Analysis Data 30 meter (GFSAD30) Cropland Extent data products.The monitoring of global cropland extent is critical for policymaking and provides important baseline data that are used in many agricultural cropland studies pertaining to water sustainability and food security. The GFSAD30 collection provides cropland extent data across the globe, divided and distributed into 7 separate regional datasets, for nominal year 2015 (2010 for North America) at 30 meter resolution. Additionally, the validation dataset used to conduct an independent accuracy assessment of global cropland extent is available.
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 Africa 30 m
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 30 m Australia, New Zealand, China, Mongolia 30 m
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 Europe, Central Asia, Russia, Middle East 30 m
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 North America 30 m
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 South Asia, Afghanistan, Iran 30 m
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 South America 30 m
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 Southeast and Northeast Asia 30 m
- GFSAD30 Cropland Extent 2015 Global Validation
NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) DAAC has published the dataset Greenland Annual Accumulation along the EGIG Line, 1959–2004, from Airborne Radar and Neutron Probe Densities. This dataset reports mean annual snow accumulation rates (meters water equivalent) at 3 meter intervals along a 250 km segment of the Expéditions Glaciologiques Internationales au Groenland (EGIG) line. Accumulation rates are derived from Airborne SAR/Interferometric Radar Altimeter System (ASIRAS) data and high-resolution neutron-probe density profiles.
NSIDC DAAC has published the dataset VIIRS/Suomi-NPP Sea Ice Cover 6-Min L2 Swath 375 m (VNP29). The Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) sea ice cover algorithm has been specifically designed to be compatible with The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Terra and Aqua Version 6 sea ice data sets, to ensure continuity between the products and facilitate a climate-data record from the three sensors. This dataset is currently being generated by our data provider and delivered to NSIDC DAAC as the files are produced. As such, data will only be available for limited date ranges until processing has been completed. When finished, the temporal coverage will span 1 January 2012 to present. VIIRS flies on board the NASA Suomi-National Polar-orbiting Partnership (Suomi-NPP) satellite and acquires visible and infrared imagery and radiometric measurements of the land, atmosphere, cryosphere, and oceans.
NSIDC DAAC has published Version 3 of the dataset Bootstrap Sea Ice Concentrations from Nimbus-7 SMMR and DMSP SSM/I-SSMIS. The following changes were made to this version of data:
- Inter-calbration techniques between SMMR and F08, as well as F08 and F11 where changed to match sea ice area rather than sea ice extent
- Ocean tie points now change each day (similar to the ice tie points) based on brightness temperatures for that day
- The threshold for the lower limit for ice was relaxed to allow retrieval of ice at 10 percent ice concentration
NASA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) DAAC published the Arctic-Boreal Vulnerability Experiment (ABoVE)
data set ABoVE: Last Day of Spring Snow, Alaska, USA, and Yukon Territory, Canada, 2000-2016. This dataset provides the last day of spring snow cover for most of Alaska and the Yukon Territory for 2000 through 2016. The data are based on the MODIS daily snow cover fraction product (MODSCAG) and are provided at 500-m resolution.
ORNL DAAC published a new Vegetation dataset LiDAR Data, DEM, and Maximum Vegetation Height Product from Southern Idaho, 2014. This dataset provides the point cloud data derived from small footprint waveform LiDAR data collected in August 2014 over Reynolds Creek Experimental Watershed and Hollister in southern Idaho.
ORNL DAAC published a new dataset MODIS Collection 6 Land Product Subsets Web Service. The MODIS Web Service provides data access capabilities for Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Collection 6 land products. The web service provides data access functions for users to execute on their local computing resources.
The India Annual Winter Cropped Area, v1 (2001-2016) data set was released 10 November in production as part of NASA's Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC) India data collection. These data consist of annual winter cropped areas for most of India (except the Northeastern states) from 2000-2001 to 2015-2016. This data set utilizes the NASA Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Enhanced Vegetation Index (EVI; spatial resolution: 250m) for the winter growing season (October-March). The data are based on an automated algorithm that identifies the EVI peak in each pixel for each year and linearly scales the EVI value between 0% and 100% cropped area within that particular pixel. Data were validated using high-resolution QuickBird, RapidEye, SkySat, and WorldView-2 images spanning 2008 to 2016 across 11 different agricultural regions of India.
NASA's Worldview/Global Imagery Browse System (GIBS) reports that the following layers were updated or added:
- Added 2 CALIPSO Wide Field Camera Radiance layers
- MODIS Land layers now available back to 2007!
- Added 45 AMSU-A Brightness Temperature Channels 1-15 layers for NOAA-15, 16 and 17
Access the data news archive.