EOSDIS Data News - 02/09/2018
NASA's Global Hydrology Resource Center (GHRC) Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) published the “Global Precipitation Model (GPM) Ground Validation Duke Soil Moisture IPHEx” dataset. This dataset consists of a collection of soil parameters obtained during the Integrated Precipitation and Hydrology Experiment (IPHEx), which occurred in the Southern Appalachians, including the Piedmont and Coastal Plain regions of North Carolina. The dataset includes measurements during February 27, 2014 through October 17, 2014. The instruments used included Theta Probes, Infrared Thermometers, 200-A Soil Core Samplers, Global Positioning System (GPS), and Soil Thermometers. Data were collected during overflights of the Scanning L-band Active Passive (SLAP) instrument and CS6161 Water Reflectometers were used to collect calibration data in Jordan Lake, NC. Data are available in a variety of formats including shapefiles, Excel, Word, and ASCII files. Browse images of site locations and data are available in JPG format.
- Data set DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/GPMGV/IPHEX/GAUGES/DATA102
GHRC DAAC published the GPM Ground Validation Daily Precipitation OLYMPEX dataset on Feb 1st. This dataset consists of a single netCDF-4 data file containing estimates of daily precipitation, both rainfall and snowfall amounts, on a 1/32 degree spatial resolution grid covering the extent of the Olympic Mountains Experiment (OLYMPEX) field campaign region in the Olympic Mountains of the state of Washington. This data product was created for the GPM Ground Validation OLYMPEX field campaign. These precipitation estimates are based on NOAA WSR-88D radar and rain gauge data incorporated in National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA) National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) local gauge bias-corrected radar quantitative precipitation estimation (QPE) model (product Q3GC) and the Mountain Mapper QPE model (product Q3MM) products. The Variable Infiltration Capacity (VIC) macroscale hydrologic model was also used to invert snow water equivalent (SWE) measurements from the Airborne Snow Observatory also collected during OLYMPEX. The model precipitation was used for mountainous regions where ground radar is obstructed by the terrain. This precipitation dataset is includes the dates of October 1, 2015 through April 30, 2016.
- Data set DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/GPMGV/OLYMPEX/MULTIPLE/DATA301
NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) DAAC has published the dataset “SMAPVEX16 Manitoba Core-Based In Situ Soil Moisture Data”, Version 1 from the Soil Moisture Active Passive Validation Experiment 2016 Manitoba (SMAPVEX 16 Manitoba) validation campaign. The new data set contains in situ measurements of soil moisture and bulk density and is the first of many for the SMAPVEX16 Manitoba campaign. Though minimal documentation is presently available, the data set is available as an early release.
- Data set DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/D4YA3124Y3BR
NASA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) DAAC published the following Pre-Arctic-Boreal Vulnerability Experiment (Pre-ABoVE) datasets:
- Pre-ABoVE: “Arctic Vegetation Plots, ARCSS/LAII Flux Sites, North Slope, AK, 1995-1996”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1536
- Pre-ABoVE: “Vegetation Plots at Barter Island and Point Barrow, Alaska, 1994”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1534
- Pre-ABoVE: “Arctic Vegetation Plots, IBP Tundra Biome, Barrow, Alaska, 1972-2010”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1535
- Pre-ABoVE: “ATLAS Vegetation Plots, North Slope and Seward Peninsula, AK 1998-2000”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1541
- Pre-ABoVE: “Arctic Vegetation Plots in NPS Arctic Network Parks, Alaska, 2002-2008”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1542
- Pre-ABoVE: “Arctic Vegetation Plots, Northern NWT and YT, Canada, 1965-1966”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1543
- Pre-ABoVE: “Arctic Vegetation Plots in Flux Tower Footprints, North Slope Alaska, 2014”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1546
- Pre-ABoVE: “Arctic Vegetation Plots, Burned and Unburned Tundra, Alaska, 2011-2012”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1547
- Pre-ABoVE: “Arctic Vegetation Plots near Spine Road, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, 2014”
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1555
ORNL DAAC published the Vegetation Collection dataset “LiDAR-derived Vegetation Canopy Structure, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 2011”. This dataset provides multiple-return LiDAR-derived vegetation canopy structure at 30-meter spatial resolution for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). Canopy characteristics were analyzed using high resolution three-dimensional point cloud measurements gathered between February-April 2011 for Tennessee and during March-April 2005 for North Carolina sections of the park. Vegetation types were mapped by grouping areas of similar canopy structure.
- Data set DOI: https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1286
Last Updated: Aug 24, 2018 at 2:33 PM EDT