SPG Teleconference 01-28-2009
Attendees: Rich Ullman, Yonsook Enloe, Peter Leonard, Ananth Rao, Glenn Cunningham, Daniel Jacob, John Scialdone, Allan Doyle, Helen Conover, Ming-Hsiang Tsou, Ed Armstrong, Siri Jodha Khalsa
Next SPG telecon : Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 3pm ET
- Feb 18 Allan Doyle to update table of current RFCs in newsletter
- Feb 18 Rich to talk to Frank, to ask him if he or Martha could send letter/email to author of RFC submission, saying RFC has been approved. Thank you for submitting, etc.
- Feb 6 Rich will send letter of rec for endorsing NetCDF RFC as a standard to Frank.
- Feb 13 Ed will get copy of Brian Wilsons presentation about service broadcasting and send the presentation (link) to the SPG.
- Spring AGU session Rich is co-chairing with Ben Domenico will focus on practical experience with standards call for abstracts.
- Newsletter ideas Glenn sent latest version to the SPG email list. Allan will update the newsletter with table of current RFCs. Planning to send newsletter twice a year discuss latest face to face meetings, and RFC activity the previous 6 months
- Rich has asked Frank to forward his letter to the recent NASA award winners, recruiting them for the SPG.
- After an RFC is approved, shouldnt Frank/Martha send letter to the RFC author, thanking author for the submission and saying it has been approved? Rich will discuss this with Frank.
- Status of RFCs
- Rich will send letter to Frank, recommending endorsement as standard for the NetCDF RFC.
- Rich has sent letter of endorsement for DIF RFC to Frank. Next steps? Acknowledgement from NASA to RFC author would be nice.
- ICARTT RFC Daniel has talked to Gao Chen. Gao plans to draft this RFC in February.
- CF Daniel reported that this will be coming in soon, maybe a month or so
- Time Enabled WMS/KML Allan thinks this will come in couple of months. Karl Benedict is working on it.
- HDF5 to DAP2 mapping maybe spring 2009
- NetCDF API & NetCDF4 Daniel has been in contact with Russ Rew will contact Russ again after the NetCDF RFC rec has been sent to HQ.
- Initial Review of 3 tech notes from Chris Lynnes initial reviews are positive. Implementation experience tech notes. Siri Jodha comment 0- would rather see more emphasis on analysis of issues and potential solutions and less on implementation details. Plan to have one TWG for all 3 tech notes. Dont plan to send reviews to all of the spg-announce but to people who may be interested in these topics. Volunteers for the TWG include
- Allan, Ananth (Chair), Siri Jodha, Helen, and Ed.
- Summer SPG meeting at the July 7-10 ESIP Fed meeting at Santa Barbara (UCSB). Exact date will be determined by Carol Meyer as they put together the schedule for the ESIP Fed meeting. What web services should we focus on? TIWG is planning demo of service broadcasting (Atom) and Search (OpenSearch) probably Brian and Chris will lead this effort for TIWG. Ed will ask Brian for a copy of his slides. The web service focus for this meeting is in response to Martha Maidens request at the Oct ESDSWG meeting to look at web services. We plan to discuss implementation, architecture, and future direction. We will invite speakers to the meeting after we find out the date for the meeting.
- Siri Jodha gave an update on the GEOSS SIF activity. SIF is inviting people to register themselves in the expert database occasional volunteers to review various submitted standards and special arrangements. The SIF Regional Guidelines document was just released. Please send comments to Siri Jodha.
- The next telecon is scheduled for Wed Feb 18 at 3pm ET.