SPG Teleconference 03-15-2006
Attendees: Rich Ullman, Ming-Hsiang Tsou, Yonsook Enloe, Helen Conover, Ananth Rao, Glenn Cunningham, Chris Lenhardt, Larry Sugarbaker, Jingli Yang, Ed Armstrong, Allan Doyle, Gi-Kong Kim
Next SPG ALL telecon : Wed April 19 at 4pm ET
New Action Items:
- March 24 Ananth will create the spg-rfc-006 email list with the same list of subscribers as spg-rfc-005 for the WMS 1.1.1 review. He will also create the spg-rfc-007 & 008 email lists for the HDF TWG.
- April 18 yonsook will contact Carol Meyer about having an SPG meeting at the July ESIP Federation meeting.
- April 18 Larry Sugarbaker will invite Ivan D. from FGDC to speak at the July SPG meeting
- March 27 Gi-Kong will find out who the ESMF program manager is and let Rich Ullman know.
- April 18 Rich Ullman will invite the ESMF program manager to speak at the July SPG meeting
- April 18 Chris Lenhardt will identify who from SEDAC and Lamont can speak at the July SPG meeting.
- June 14 Helen Conover get status from Michael Goodman about level 2 precip product science content standard either new leader for the effort or a schedule of the document
- June 14 - Glenn Cunningham ping Robert Wolfe and check on Surface Reflectance product science content Tech Note and when we can expect that
- June 14 Rich ping Beth Weinstein about the ECHO Tech Note.
- April 18 Larry Sugarbacker will identify which version of the FGDC Vegetation Classification Index standard (older version that was standardized in 97/98 or the version that is being revised since 2002)
- HDF5 RFC passed Initial Review. Jingli (editor) will be ask Elena (HDF document author) to correct many typos and style errors (inconsistent capitalization, etc.)
- HDF-EOS RFC passed Initial Review. No revision of document needed before starting initial review
- One HDF TWG will manage the review of both HDF documents (HDF5 and HDF-EOS).
- Helen Conover will chair the HDF TWG.
- SPG will meet during the July 19-21 ESIP Federation meeting (Palisade, NY) for either day or whole day. The length of the meeting is tbd.
- Gi-Kong Kim, Ed Armstrong, and Glenn Cunningham discussed their Initial Review comments of the HDF5 RFC. Gi-Kong noted the many typos and style errors like inconsistent capitalization. Jingli agreed to ask Elena to proofread the document more closely and correct the typos and the inconsistent capitalization. All the reviewers agreed that after these edits are made, that the document should go forward through the Standards Process.
- Gi-Kong Kim and Ed Armstrong discussed their Initial Review comments of the HDF-EOS RFC. Both agreed that the document should go forward through the Standards Process.
- HDF TWG formed with the following members: Ananth, Jingli, Helen, Ed Armstrong, Yonsook, and Gi-Kong. Helen agreed to chair the group. SPG agreed that the HDF TWG should manage the review of both the HDF5 document and the HDF-EOS document since there is much overlap between the two documents. The HDF TWG will have its first telecon on Thurs March 23 at 4pm ET. The HDF TWG needs to decide if to review both documents at the same time or review one at a time.
- Allan gave the RFC-005 status. The RFC-005 (WMS 1.3) is ready to be closed out as a technical note. We are waiting for the summary that Chris Lenhardt promised to write, detailing why the RFC-005 is a tech note. The RFC-006 (WMS 1.1.1) Operations review will start soon. The next WMS TWG will discuss the operations review of the WMS 1.1.1.
- July SPG meeting at Palisade, NY on July 19-21. SPG members agreed that we need this face to face meeting.
- Ideas for speakers for July SPG meeting: Chris Lenhardt said he could probably get some speakers from the SEDAC/Lamont groups. Larry said although its hard to reach Ivan DeLoach (FGDC), he will try. Gi-Kong will find out who the program manager is for ESMF. Then Rich could invite that person to speak at the July SPG meeting.
- Well discuss the annual SPG goals at the next SPG telecon.
- Rich mentioned the monthly ES DSWG telecon said that the ACCESS awardees have started work. HQ will send the list of names to Kathy Fontaine soon.