SPG Teleconference 01-18-2006
Attendees: Rich Ullman, Ming-Hsiang Tsou, Yonsook Enloe, Helen Conover, Ananth Rao, Glenn Cunningham, Chris Lenhardt, Siri Jodha Khalsa, Larry Sugarbaker, Jingli Yang, Ron Kwok, Ed Armstrong, Allan Doyle
Next SPG ALL telecon : Tuesday Feb 14 at 3pm ET
New Action Items:
- Dec 12 ALL review SPG website for (1) content and (2) look and feel and send comments to the spg email list
- Jan 30 Rich will identify an RFC editor for the future Vegetation Classification RFC
- Feb 14 Chris Helm ping Frank Warmerdam and ask about status of GeoTIFF 1.1 or if Frank submits the RFC, forward to the SPG.
- Feb 14 Helen Conover get status from Michael Goodman about level 2 precip product science content standard either new leader for the effort or a schedule of the document
- Feb 14 - Glenn Cunningham ping Robert Wolfe and check on Surface Reflectance product science content Tech Note and when we can expect that
- Feb 14 Larry Sugarbacker will identify which version of the FGDC Vegetation Classification Index standard (older version that was standardized in 97/98 or the version that is being revised since 2002)
- Jan 31 Ananth Rao will post the errata pages and add link to the index page on the SPG website.
- Jan 31 Ananth & Allan will move SPG website content to the new SPG website that has the new look and feel.
- Larry Sugarbaker requested an RFC Editor for the future Vegetation Classification Index RFC that Don F. will put together and submit to the SPG. There were no volunteers at the SPG telecon. Rich took the action to identify an RFC editor before the end of the month.
- Helen Conover discussed the errata pages she produced for RFC-002 and RFC-003 to document the process changes that the SPG discussed at the October SPG meeting and the Nov telecon. The SPG members approved the errata changes. There was no objection to unanimous consent.
- Allan Doyle discussed the RFC Editor checklist that he produced and put on the SPG website. Please send all comments to him. Future RFC editors should use the checklist and see what is helpful and what is not and what is missing.
- Allan Doyle discussed the new look and feel for the new SPG website. SPG members commented that they like the new look and feel. The contents of the old spg website will be moved to the new website.
- Rich Ullman discussed the status of the WMS TWG. In mid December, the TWG decided that we needed additional reviews for the Implementation review. An extended review period was announced for the Implementation review. Additional reviews have been received during this extended review period. The new end date of the Implementation Review is Jan 27.
- Rich Ullman reported on the joint telecon with the ESDSWG Reuse & Infusion groups. Agreed to use the same TRL levels that ESTO uses to describe technology readiness. The next joint telecon is mid February.
- How proactive should SPG be to coalesce community opinion? Should we be generating RFCs for communities? After discussion, SPG members agreed that SPG should be objective about all technologies and incoming standards. We should not be producing any RFCs for a community. We can facilitate the coalescing of community opinion by offering the Technical Note approach.
- Ming reported back on the ESDWG monthly planning telecon with Kathy Fontaine. ESDSWG official website and the REASoN projects public websites will be operational at the beginning of the Feb. The fifteen new ACCESS projects will join the ESDSWG soon. Our recommendation to adopt DAP 2 RFC as a community standard to NASA HQ is still in the process (no further update). Reuse and Technology Fusion group reports: need to collaborate with ESIP federation more closely, but we have to identify the roles, responsibilities, and tasks for the collaborations. The metrics group reports that they are still revising the metrics and hopes it will be done by Feb. SPG group reported on the progress of WMS and the co-meeting with reuse group and the SPG website re-design.
- Jingli reported on the status of the future HDF related RFCs. No response yet from HDF5, HDF-EOS, or Aura Profile. Will contact the people again.
- Helen Conover reported on the future Backtrack Search Algorithm Tech Note. Ross Swick sent something to her recently. She will check it out.