SPG Teleconference 11-28-2005
Attendees: Rich Ullman, Ming-Hsiang Tsou, Yonsook Enloe, Helen Conover, Ananth Rao, Glenn Cunningham, Chris Lenhardt, Siri Jodha Khalsa, Larry Sugarbaker, Sam Bacharach, Jingli Yang, Ron Kwok
Next SPG ALL telecon : Wed Jan 11 at 4pm ET
New Action Items:
- Dec 12 ALL review SPG website for (1) content and (2) look and feel and send comments to the spg email list
- Jan 11 Chris Helm ping Frank Warmerdam and ask about status of GeoTIFF 1.1 or if Frank submits the RFC, forward to the SPG.
- Jan 11 Helen Conover get status from Michael Goodman about level 2 precip product science content standard either new leader for the effort or a schedule of the document
- Jan 11 - Glenn Cunningham ping Robert Wolfe and check on Surface Reflectance product science content Tech Note and when we can expect that
- Jan 11 find editor for future incoming Vegetation Classification RFC
- Jan 11 Helen Conover will check & modify (if necessary) RFC-002 & RFC-003 to document the process decisions made at the Oct ES DSWG meeting. (see detailed notes below)
- Jan 11 Allan Doyle create a checklist for RFC Editors
- Rich summarized the WMS TWG activities. The WMS RFC is in implementation review. Review request was sent to the spg-announce email list. Reviews are due Dec 12.
- Jingli reported on the status of the HDF related RFCs. Elena Poumal has send a draft of the HDF5 RFC to Jingli. But the draft is not yet quite complete. Elena will add the Implementation and Operational Experience sections by the end of this week. Cheryl will send the Atmospheric Composition Product Guidelines RFC sometime in January. Larry Klein is interested in submitted EOS-HDF (2 & 5) RFCs sometime in the future.
- Ananth Rao reported that Bob Harberts expects to submit two ECHO Technical Notes (1) Overview and (2) Client APIs. Both tech notes will be submitted at the same time. Will constitute Initial Review via email at that time.
- Yonsook Enloe reported that Liping Di is interested in submitting the OGC WCS as a candidate standard RFC. However, he is not funded to do this work and will need to find spare time to do this. Liping asked what kind of time commitment this would take. Rich Ullman noted that the Gaeon testbed in OGC will take a couple more months. Maybe the results of the Galeon testbed will be folded into the next version of WCS.
- Helen Conover is trying to contact Ross Swick about the Backtrack Search algorithm Tech Note. Ross is definitely planning to submit an RFC. UAH will submit an ESML RFC sometime in 2006.
- Chris Helm reported that there has been no real progress on the GeoTIFF RFC.
- Larry Sugarbaker reported that Don Faber-Langendoen is put together the Vegetation Classification RFC that is the FGDC version. Don has submitted a workplan and budget to Larry to approve. This will happen in 2006.
- Rich reported that Chris Lynnes is not sure that PDR/PAN would be a good technology to standardize at this time since this is such old technology. Chris is going to confer with his DAAC colleagues and get back to Rich.
- Siri Jodha noted that the EOSDIS Evolution team briefing to HQ occurred last week. The charts are posted at http://eosdis-evolution.gsfc.nasa.gov Some of the ideas there should/may affect our SPG work.
- Rich asked about Frews suggestion about standardizing on the ESRI format. Much discussion about whether it is appropriate or not appropriate to standardize on a propriety format. This discussion will be continued at later SPG telecons.
- Rich reported that no further progress has been made on working with Reuse & Infusion groups. This discussion will probably take place after the holidays.
- Helen Conover will document the process decisions made by the SPG at the Oct ES DSWG meetings in Baltimore in RFC-003 & RFC-002.
- After RFC is approved, further editorial changes captured in errata. After errata stack up (judgment call by editor - not necessarily original editor, but responsible person appointed by SPG), issue new version incorporating changes with internal review by SPG.
- Profiles of existing standards - don't have to review or endorse the original standard first. If profile is written such that the user needs a copy of the base standard also to implement the profile, then the SPG will keep a physical copy of the profile plus a physical copy of the base standard on the SPG website. If only the profile document is needed to implement the profile, then the SPG will keep a physical copy of only the profile document and provide a reference to the base standard document. Standards maintained by other groups
- Appropriate to review standards already maintained by other groups, because we're considering NASA DS use of the standard. Can review a specific profile of a given standard without reviewing the parent standard. Profile must reference base standard. SPG should keep a copy of the base standard if possible, and provide link to current authoritative version.
- Another followup item from the Oct meetings we need to create a checklist for RFC editors. Allan Doyle was volunteered.
- Outreach to HQ Rich will invite Martha Maiden to the next SPG telecon.
- Ming reported that at the 11/7 ES DSWG Chairs/Co-chairs telecon, Martha asked if REASON participants are participating enough in the ES DS working groups.
- Ananth Rao reported on the new email lists. All spg related email lists have been migrated to email@example.com. This new email list facility is mailman based and has an email archive function associated with it.
- Please review the SPG website for (1) content and (2) look and feel and send comments to the spg email list.
- Outreach opportunities what other outreach opportunities should we be pursuing? We will keep discussing this.