SPG Teleconference 06-16-2004
SPG Telecon Notes for June 16, 2004 2pm ET telecon
Rich Ullman, Yonsook Enloe, Jingli Yang, Ming-Hsiang Tsou, Chris Lenhardt, Helen Conover, Siri Jodha S. Khalsa, John Evans, Glenn Cunningham, Gi Kong Kim
Next SPG ALL telecon : Wed July 21 at 2pm ET
Outstanding Action Action Items from May 18 telecon:
- May 21st Larry Sugarbaker will contact Denny and ask him to respond to emails about the FGDC Vegetation Index standard. Have not heard from Denny since the telecon about science content standard where he took on an action item.
- May 31st or as early as possible Sam to release early version of RFC003 so that the DAP group can reference it.
- June 1st Larry Sugarbaker will call Ivan D. of FGDC to see if he is available as a potential speaker for the Oct 18-19 ESDWG meetings. However, the ESDWG Planning Committee will make the final determination on who to invite as speakers.
New Action Items:
- June 18 - Helen to revise How to Submit an RFC guide based on decisions made today and post that to the SPG.
- June 22 Ananth will post html version of the How to Submit an RFC, converting from Word to html.
- June 22 Ananth will add mailto link to RFC Editor on the SPG homepage.
- June 25 ALL review the How to Submit an RFC guide and send comments to SPG email list
- RFC Editor responsibilities are to check input submission for correct format, required content, and all required input files and to organize them for easy access on the website. The RFC Editor will be a liaison between the RFC Author and the SPG during the Initial Review period when minor edits to the submitted RFC are allowed. Then once the RFC passes Initial Review and a TWG is constituted, the TWG Chair will act as the liaison between the RFC author and the SPG.
- RFC Author will be responsible for submitting proposed standard in PDF format, including all input files used to generate the PDF.
- RFC Author will be responsible for all edits to the proposed standard.
- Minor edits of the submitted RFC will be allowed during the initial review period. No edits will be permitted once the RFC passes the initial review and gets reviewed by the TWG.
- TWG members will be selected from members of the SPG and some external experts. TWG chair will be liaison between the SPG/TWG and the RFC Author to ask for clarifications or ask questions as they come up. The RFC submitters will not be a member of the TWG.
- Ming gave a recap of the ESDWG Planning meeting. The chairs and co-chairs of all 4 working groups meet with Kathy and exchange information once a month, the first Tuesday of each month.
- Metrics team working on online survey. Had 14 people at their telecon last month and good response to survey to help test out their web based metrics tools.
- Tech Infusion they have a concept to create a movie how tech infusion can benefit stakeholders and ESE community. They are planning a talk at the August Federation meeting. Had 9 people at last months team telecon.
- Reuse team running an online questionnaire. Email was sent to people with .gov email addresses. Planning a face to face workshop lagter. They will attend the August Federation meeting. They are planning a software repository with an online submittal mechanism.
- SPG reported that we are working on the 1st submitted standard the DAP 2.0. We are giving a presentation at the August Federation meeting, during the Plenary session. Looking for a leader for the precipitation community.
- Rich Ullman gave more details of the October 18-19 ESDWG meeting. The meeting will be held at the Greenbelt Marriott, not at the University of Maryland Conference Center as previously thought.
- 1st day morning is plenary with speakers. 20 minute SPG talk during the Plenary we will outline objectives of the SPG, the process itself, and introduction to the posters and invite people to look at them.
- 1st day afternoon is poster session. We want to show the details of the Standards Process, progress/status of the SPG, and characteristics of the community standards we are looking for, and the responsibilities of the leader for the submitted standard.
- 2nd day have 2 sessions (morning & afternoon) of parallel WG splinter sessions. Should we use the time to educate ourselves? Invite a tutorial speaker?
- August Federation meeting SPG has 30 minute slot during the Plenary meeting on Tues August 17. In the talk, plan to mention goals, benefits to community to adopt community standards, and then an invitation for people to submit standards and explanation of community leadership needed to adopt a community standard.