Welcome to the Earth Science Data Systems Working Groups (ESDSWG) Software Reuse Working Group (SRWG) portal web site. Please visit the ESDSWG page for some additional information about the group. The ESDSWG is an operating division of the NASA Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) Project.
What We Do:
The Software Reuse Working Group actively participates in various events relevant to software reuse, specifically:
- Definition of an ESDIS and broader agency strategy for the use of Open Source Software.
- The training, education and dissemination of software reuse practices at strategic meetings and events including the annual ESDSWG meeting, and the Summer and Winter Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) Federation meetings.
- Documentation and dissemination of information related to sharing and reusing Earth science software amongst NASA's Earth science research and mission community.
- Closely integrating with NASA decadal missions, NASA's Distributed Active Archive Centers (DAACs) and proposal-funded systems.
- Delivering specifications and recommendations for the reuse of NASA's Earth science data systems software.
Members of the group have taken an active roll in these events, contributing to the understanding of software reuse as well as contributing to software reuse research and practices.
The SRWG area in the Earthdata wiki can be accessed here.
The 2011 ESDSWG Meeting was held in Newport News, VA, on November 1st - 3rd, 2011 and included plenary sessions for all of the working groups as well as breakout sessions for activities organized by individual working groups. Members of the Software Reuse WG attended the break out sessions on software reuse, where recent activities were reviewed and future activities were planned and discussed.
The Software Reuse WG was well represented at the 2011 Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) , which was held in San Francisco, CA, on December 5th to 9th, 2011.Many members of the ESDS Software Reuse WG attended the AGU meeting and the WG organized two sessions, one oral session and one poster session, on software reuse.
Members of the ESDS Software Reuse WG also attended the 2012 Winter Conference of the Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP), which was held in Washington, DC, on January 4-6. The theme of the 2012 Winter ESIP WG Conference was "Connections Through Collaboration: Engaging Community Throughout the Data Life Cycle" and many topics relevant to software reuse were addressed. The software reuse working group organized a session on open source software reuse, which engaged participants in discussions about the application of software reuse throughout the data life cycle.
For more information about the Software Reuse Working Group, please visit our About Us, FAQ, and/or Suggest Content page. You can also connect with us through our Facebook Group, LinkedIn Group, and Twitter feed.